Search This Blog

Categories

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Girls Chevron Blanket

This is my first blanket! I've made a couple scarves, but I've never been able to finish a blanket, so I decided to start small. I was going for a toddler blanket, but it turned out a little bigger than I expected. I searched diifferent websites and found the size of my blanket to be similar to a 7-11 year-old's afghan. Yes, that's right. I did it backwards. Instead of making the blanket a specific size, I made the blanket then chose the 'size'.

I worked on this blanket on and off for about 3 months. If I had worked every day, I probably could have gotten it done in 3 weeks, but I worked for a couple days and then went weeks without touching it. But now that it's finally done, I can show it to you!

I chose these colors because I saw them in a blanket online for sale. Great color combination, right? I just love turquoise and coral. And to add a little filler, I added white and grey. I normally like to use Caron: Simply Soft for my yarn. It feels good against your skin so whether I'm making a scarf or blanket or whatever, I use it. However, this time, they didn't have the exact color that I wanted. Actually, when I went to Hobby Lobby, I could only find Coral in one brand and the yarn was VERY thick (not what I wanted at all) so I went with the next best thing I could find, Loops & Threads: Impeccable in Arbor Rose. My 3 other colors are all Caron: Simply Soft. I got Grey Heather, White, and Blue Mint.




If you don't know how to crochet and want to learn, I suggest looking it up on youtube. I tried reading articles about how to do it, but I found videos to be the easiest way for me to learn. (That's how I learned how to do the chevron pattern) It's very helpful. And you can learn anything from the simple beginnings to some of the harder chains. Here, I will try to explain the best I can how to do this:

Step 1: Start out with a foundation chain in a multiple of 14 plus 2. (I used 168 stitches.)

Step 2: dc 3 times

Step 3: Yarn over, insert hook and draw through, yarn over and draw through 2. Repeat 2 times. Yarn over and draw through 4. Repeat step 3.

Step 4: dc 3 times

Step 5: 3 dc into the next stitch. Repeat step 5.

Step 6: Now repeat steps 2 through 5 until you reach the end of your foundation chain.

Step 7: At the end of the row, only do 1 set of 3 dc in 1 stitch. Turn. 3 ch then 2 dc in 1st stitch. Now start back at step 2.



Here's how I change colors: In the last stitch of your row, don't complete it. Instead of doing your last yarn over and through, get your other color, fold it in half leaving about 4” on the loose end and loop it onto your hook as if it's your yarn over. Then pull your new color through. Pull all the ends tight. Cut the 1st color to about 4”. After you turn your work, pull your loose ends to the back of your work. Crochet OVER the loose ends. Make sure that you crochet at least 8 times over your loose ends if you choose to cut them.

Like I said before, it's super easy if you just youtube instructions on how to crochet. Learn to crochet here. And learn to make this blanket here. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. I love feedback on what I write.